On Building Strong & Vibrant Neighbourhoods
"I want us to have safe, diverse and caring neighbourhoods, where we ensure we provide services for our youngest to our oldest and for our most needy to our most successful. I am committed to ensuring that we have the kinds of community facilities necessary such as community centres, arenas, libraries and parks and trails to encourage participation and healthy lifestyles for all residents."
Over the past four years, in our neighbourhoods, Berry has…
- Worked to see new parks built in the ward - Tremaine Park, Beaumont Park and Country Clair Park.
- Supported funding for the new splash pad presently under construction at the Centreville-Chicopee Community Centre.
- Worked with the Stanley Park Community Association and the Centreville-Chicopee Community Association on their projects including program registrations and special events like the recent Community Carnival.
- Brought forward a motion to keep Rockway Seniors Centre Open and to look at long-term options for the facility and the site at its present location.
- Supported the building of the ACTIVA Sportsplex and the purchase of the Sportsworld Crossing Twin Pad – providing the community with much needed ice time.
- Supported the McLennan Park Recreational Development.
- construction of the Stanley Park Community Centre which recently celebrated its 5th anniversary
- expansion and renovation of the Centreville-Chicopee Community Centre
- construction of the Grand River Stanley Park branch of Kitchener Public Library
- Bring together the city, schools, churches, business and other organizations in the ward to develop a Healthy Community Development Plan for the ward – focusing on the specific strengths and challenges of our neighbourhoods.
- ensure the development of remaining parks and trails in Grand River South during remaining phases of development
- work to budget and develop one or more riverfront parks along the Grand River
- push for the development of more sportsfields in the City, including soccer fields.