On Downtown Revitalization
"Downtown Kitchener is the heart of our community – a place where people of all ages should live, work and play. It will be a safe, dynamic place that reflects the pride of our residents, and where we come to celebrate our community’s history, its prosperity, and most importantly, its people."
Over the past four years, and in previous terms, Berry has…
- Created policies which have generated significant private sector investment in various downtown projects including the Tannery ($30 million), the City Centre ($90 million estimate), the Arrow Lofts and Breithaupt Block ($23 million estimate).
- Supported the expansion and renovation of the Kitchener Public Library Central Library.
- Obtained federal and provincial infrastructure stimulus dollars for the King Street streetscape improvements.
- Worked to ensure that Downtown Kitchener was selected by the province for the new region-wide Provincial Courthouse facility.
- closely worked with the Kitchener Downtown Business Improvement Association to create a business friendly environment in Downtown Kitchener.
- Make sure the many projects under development presently continue to move forward in a timely manner.
- Work to ensure we look after our investment in the downtown streetscape through the development of a cleanliness strategy.
- Work with the KDBIA and private partners to build on the momentum of attracting new businesses to the downtown.